St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Taste and See: Experiencing God with Our Senses: The Sense of Sight

One night, I woke up, and I couldn't see.  I don't know what happened, but for a few minutes I had no sense of sight.
The room was dark, of course, but there were night lights in the hall.
I couldn't see.
Then, as quickly as it happened, my vision returned.
My breathing returned to normal and the panic subsided.
4 AM is early, but I was awake.
As I lay there, aware that today would be a very long day,
I pondered this God given gift of sight.

Other than those few minutes, I have never been without sight.
I've never had to use a cane to find my way across the street.

I've never had to hide my eyes because they were disfigured. 
I've never had to wonder if I would trip on something I couldn't see.
Sight has been a gift.
I am able to read by sight.
I am able to make crafts using my sight.
I can cook and read recipes because I have the gift of sight.
I might need glasses, but my sight is corrected to 20/20.

If I use my sight, I can see a flower blooming in a garden.
If I use my sight, I can see the rain falling.
If I use my sight, I can see a tomato that is ripe.
If I use my sight, I can see the priest as he consecrates the Host.
If I use my sight, I can drive to Church without having to ask someone to take me.

Of course, we cannot see God with our earthly eyes, 
but
we can experience Him through our senses.

With my gift of sight, I can see the sun rise or set.
With my gift of sight, I can see my children.
With my gift of sight, I can see a smile on an aging face.
With my gift of sight, I can see my home.
With my gift of sight, I can experience God in what I see.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment