St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Friday, March 28, 2014

Walking the Camino - Thank you, Sister Mary Claudia

Today, as we walk this Lenten Camino, let us remember those who influenced us, in a particular way, as Catholics.  Then, let us thank God, and if we can, thank them, for their influence in our spiritual development.  Let us also remember to reverence the Holy Name of Jesus.

I’ll never forget Sister Mary Claudia. She was my first grade teacher at St. Mary’s.  She was a Sister of Charity from Cincinnati.  Sister Mary Claudia and her fellow sisters wore the full habit.  The sides of her face were encased in her wimple and veil.  How she could see us, I’ll never know, but she knew what we were going to do before we did it!  I remember that she was about 10 feet tall and did not put up with nonsense, at. all.  Once, she made me stay in from play during the lunch break for talking when we were supposed to be doing our arithmetic.  I didn’t dare tell my mother because I knew the kind of trouble I’d be in for disobeying Sister Mary Claudia!  She was amazing! We all knew better than to disobey Sister Mary Claudia!

I do have many fond memories of Sister.  Because of her, when I meet a nun or a priest, I cannot call them by a first name, but I must  address them as:  Sister or Father.  This was the respect for the priests and nuns that we learned from her.  Because of Sister Mary Claudia, my printing is still neat and legible, even though my cursive is very poor!  Because of Sister Mary Claudia, my head bows automatically at the name of Jesus.  She ingrained in us that His is a Sacred name and that with each Hail Mary, and anytime the name of Jesus was spoken at Mass or in prayer, we were to bow our heads.  She said that we were to set the example of those around us and bow our heads for all to see.  Sixty years after first grade ended, I am still being influenced by this Sister of Charity. 

Sister Mary Claudia, thank you!

"Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name,
so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 
and every tongue should confess that 
Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
 Philippians 2: 10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment