St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Need for Prayer

As I write this blog, really, as I take dictation from the Holy Spirit, I have come to realize how important prayer is to our relationship with God.  Our God wants to hear from us.  He wants to establish a relationship with us.  His love is unending!  Prayer is the only way we have to connect with Him on a one to one basis.

Pope Francis has said,
"How powerful prayer is! May we never lose the courage to say: Lord, give us your peace."

Peace, always peace in our troubled world. 

Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid." John 14: 27

Even Jesus prayed:

"Now during those days he went out to the mountain to pray; and he spent the night in prayer to God." Luke 6: 12

"In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed." Luke 1: 35

 "And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone." Matthew 14: 23 

 "But he would withdraw to deserted places and pray." Luke 5:16 

The Apostles exhorted the newly formed Church to pray.
 
"Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phillipians 4: 6-7

"Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving."
Colossians 4:2  

"When they heard it, they raised their voices together to God and said, 'Sovereign Lord, who made the heaven and the earth, the sea, and everything in them, And now, Lord, look at their threats, and grant to your servants to speak your word with all boldness, while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.” Acts: 4: 25, 29-30

"While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he died." Acts 7: 59-60

Prayer is not new.  References to prayer abound in the Old Testament.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    and all that is within me, bless his holy name.                               
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    and do not forget all His benefits who forgives all your iniquities,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the Pit,
    who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good as long as you live
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s." Psalm 103: 1-5


"My soul yearns for you in the night,
    my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgments are in the earth,
    the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness." Isaiah 26: 9


"If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, pray, seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place." 2 Chronicles 7: 14-15

"O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
    in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch." Psalms 5: 3


The list continues.  Prayer.  Communication with God.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says of prayer (2559):
"Prayer is the raising of one's mind and heart to God or the requesting of good things from God."

God waits to hear your voice!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment