St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Let's Put Our Prayers in Writing - Give Prayer Journaling a Try!

"Lord, I know you want me to love all people, but I'm sure having a hard time with one person.  You know who she is, and you know why.  Please, guide me and help me.  Bless her and forgive me for not showing her Your Love, for not being an example of Your Love.  Lord, Help Me!"
--Prayer Journal 1/12/14

I am only showing you this entry in my prayer journal because I want you to see how I use my journaling.  Like anything else, my prayer journals have evolved from early writings of:

"Lord, I am asking that You grant me this gift.  I'll never ask again, but I really do need this." 
--Prayer Journal 10/17/l998 

That was a long time ago when all I used my prayer journal as a means of asking God for material things.  Even though I still ask God for things, I also discuss problems, ask for spiritual advice, pray for others, thank Him for His Goodness, and simply praise and bless Him.  Our communication has evolved, and it is a blessing.

There are so many ways to pray in a prayer journal, but before you begin to pray in writing, you need to gather a few supplies.

What do you need for a prayer journal.  You can use a plain notebook, a beautiful journal, or, like me, enter into the digital age and use your computer or tablet.  There are some wonderful apps out there for journaling.  How you decide to journal is up to you.

I'm not an art journaler, but I've seen some prayer journals that have become works of art, filled with photos, drawings, and doodles.  I've also seen people who like to journal on index cards!  They simply list.  That's wonderful, too.  Your voice is your voice!  My only advice is to be prepared to hear the whisperings of the Holy Spirit when you journal.  The evolution of your journal might be much more than you expect or dreamed!  Which ever media you use, be comfortable and be prepared to grow!

I journal about half an hour a day.  When you first begin to develop your prayer journal, I would suggest that you journal for 10-15 minutes each time you journal.  Remember that it takes 6 weeks to develop a habit, if you stick with journaling for that length of time, you might become a dedicated writer in your prayer journal.  Carve out that time from your busy schedule and give it to God in prayer.  10-15 minutes a day is only 1/4 of an hour.  There are 24 hours in a day.  When you look at the time factor that way, it doesn't seem like much time, does it?

Be persistent.  If you miss a day, don't worry about it.  Begin again the next day.  We all get stuck or busy.  Life happens.  Let the Holy Spirit work with you.  He will be happy to be invited into your prayer time. 

Set your timer.
Begin your writing by invoking the Holy Spirit.
Holy Spirit, fill my mind and thoughts with Yours.You can write this down, or not!  That's up to you.

Next, praise God and thank Him for this time together.
Heavenly Father, Son of God, Holy Spirit, I praise and thank You!
Again, you can write this down or not!

Then begin to write down what is in your heart.  If you had a bad day, tell God.  If you had a wonderful day, tell God.  Thank Him.  If you have problems, tell God. Pour your heart out to Him.  Remember, prayer is born in the heart.  This is where God meets you in love.

Write until you are finished even if your timer goes off.  If you need to stop before your timer goes off.  Stop.  If tears come, let them flow as you pray.  If laughter comes, join God in the joy of your heart.  Give yourself to God as you write.

At the end of your prayer time, thank God for your time together.
Oh, Lord, thank You!   
Write it down or not.
Praise, adore, and bless God!
Lord, I adore You!  I praise You!  I bless You.
Rest in Him for a short time.

I cannot promise you that each time you journal, that you will be exulted and overflowing with love, but I can guarantee you that you will be praying with your heart and soul.  If you save your journals, you will begin to see patterns emerge as you grow in closeness to God.

Can you tell, I love to prayer journal?  It is my prayer voice.

Tomorrow, I will post some journaling prompts.  We all get stuck.  We all get busy.  These might help you to continue on your journey. 


No comments:

Post a Comment