St. Michael Prayer

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do, thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Glory to God in the Highest!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Amen



When I began my research to confirm what I remembered the meaning of the word "Amen" to be, I found that I knew nothing about the origins of this word. All I wanted to know was: Did the word "Amen" mean "so be it?" As I researched, I discovered that the word "Amen" has origins in pagan history, in Jewish history, in Roman history, and in Greek history. It's use and meaning came from these cultures.
For example, in ancient Egypt, the word "amen" was derived from the name of the god Aman. In the Old Testament, the word "amen" was used infrequently, but when used, meant truth. When, Our Lord and Savior, Jesus, used the word "amen," He used it to strongly affirm what scripture taught or what He had taught to his disciples and friends.
Through more research I learned that the word "amen" is very powerful when used in the liturgy of the Mass. Depending on where it is used in the celebration of the Mass, the word takes on different meanings. The differences are subtle, but have strong meaning in the parts of the Mass in which they are used.
That's a lot of information to digest when all I wanted to know was: Does the word "amen" mean "so be it?" The answer to that, according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church in section 2856 is: Yes, but there are other meanings, too. These meanings and use of the word "amen" are discussed in more detail in our catechism.
If you do not own a catechism, I can only say that in my opinion,the cost of the Catechism is small because this book describes and interprets our faith. If you do not feel that you have the resources to purchase a Catechism at this time, here is a link to a free online version of the Catechism of the Catholic Faith. Click HERE to go read the catechism online.
So many questions can be answered about our faith, in the Catechism, including, "Does the use of the word 'Amen' mean 'so be it?' " The answer is yes and so much more.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment